|Images Bartley Family Archive 2006|
St Luke's was once in farmland, some distance from the centre of Auckland. It is now all but crowded out by retail precinct and highway, but still serving as a spiritual and community hub.
The nave and chancel of St Luke's was dedicated in 1872. The architect at that time was P. F. M Burrows. Later growth in the congregation required extensions to the existing church. The opportunity was taken to refit the interior and construct a vicarage. These additions were designed by Edward Bartley as Architect to the Anglican Diocese of Auckland.
|Interior St Luke's about 2003 Image BFA|
Increased capacity was achieved by extending the nave. Transepts were added. The chancel was altered to be formed by five sides with one centre window and two side windows. A communion rail was especially designed of polished rimu on burnished brass standards.
A porch on the north side of the nave at the west end was joined by a smaller porch at the corner of the south transept and the nave. A belfry and small spire were added to the west end.
|Note the communion rail was removed in 20th century alterations.|
Images Bartley Family Archive
The interior is further enhanced by beautiful stained glass.
A vote of thanks to the St Luke's community for their care for the building, cemetery and grounds.
Refer Anglican Church Gazette May 1883 p 43,44; NZH 9 May 1883 p6